Green Township is located in the southeastern portion of Scioto County Ohio, close to the Ohio River. When the Township was officially organized is not known due to the loss of the county records dating between 1803 and 1811. Green Township was formed from Upper Township and received its name from prominent land developer Griffin Green.
The earliest settlements in Green Township were the direct result of a fraudulent land scheme that was taking place in France in the late 1700s. During the French Revolution many well to do people in France feared for their lives and what was going to happen to them I these chaotic times. A company that called itself the Scioto Land Company capitalized on this and began urging those of means to leave France as quickly as possible and of course they had land to sell them in the Gallipolis area of southern Ohio. Part of their sales scam was that the land was settled and that frost in the area was almost unheard of. They were also told that there were plants that grew candles and trees that produced sugar.
It did not take the French emigrants long to figure out that they had been swindled. Life in their new home was nothing like they had been told and to make matters worse they were unable to get their land titles to prove they even owned the property. Many gave up in disgust and went back to France. Those that remained here got together and discussed what they should do. They decided to send a representative of their group to Philadelphia to petition Congress for relief.
They chose Jean G. Gervais to be their spokesman and he pleaded their case to Congress. Their petition was successful and on March 3, 1795, legislation was passed creating the French Grant also known as French-Grant Estates. This consisted of 24,000 acres of land divided into tracts of 217 acres in what is now Green Township. Many of these early settlers are buried in the French Grant Cemetery. The Township has the honor of having had the first iron blast furnace in Scioto County and was build on a lot of the French Grant in 1826.